[78-L] /Monroe Brothers

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 13 14:24:24 PST 2010

There was a 3CD Monroe Brothers set issued in Japan
(Almost) Everything Monroe on Bear Family.

Rounder has an SS series of licensed material on LP, don't remember if Monroe Bros was included.
They started a CD series of the Monroe Brothers, but I think discontinued it when the Japanese set
was issued - due to royalty costs they could not use the full length of the CD, so
their set could not compete with the Japanese issue.  This is something I wonder about - would
the US market reject a higher priced CD?  I think that the market this material is directed to
is smarter than the usual cd buyer, and would be willing to pay a premium for a quality production.
I might be very wrong.
  I know I would think twice at a high price, but think I would buy.  I am willing to pay the
price for Bear Family products, and for some Japanese material.
  Many years ago there was a Japanese CD of the BEATLES Star Club tape - complete, including chatter.
It cost about $30.  In the US, Columbia issued 2 CD's of about 2/3 of the tape, cost about $10 each.
Works out to the same cost- except that US buyers never had the complete recordings, and would have
needed 3 times the shelf space.

Best wishes, Thomas.