[78-L] Dual purpose machines...

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Wed Jan 13 06:09:03 PST 2010

Someone asked if we continued to use the wire recorder at Sisseton (SD) High
Schoo.  Only once that I can recall.  We had set up the 2-unit Recordio,
hung a microphone from it, and recorded General McArthur's farewell address
on wire.  "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away."  Later I
transferred it to disc. When I started collecting old radio programs, a
trader sent me a good audio cassette of the General's speech, as well as
President Truman's firing of the General.  Then we put the wire recorder
away, and I don't think anyone used it again.  And the Recordio was put
away, too, because tape came on the scene.  Even after tape, we dubbed some
of our stuff to disc.  The students wanted band and choir music they could
play on their phonographs.

In those days, I recorded many of the touring concert artists.  I always
asked permission and took photos of their performances.  Today, I have been
banned from taking photos of our local university music groups, and I
haven't even asked about recording the concerts.  Same is true about the
concert series.  I treasure the recordings of Frederick Smith; he let me
record him onstage after the concert.
We also had Fredell Lack and Grant Johanessen.  They came to the little town
of Sisseton, SD.

Ted Kneebone. 1528 S. Grant St., Aberdeen, SD 57401. Phone: 605-226-3344.
Old Time Radio: http://abe.midco.net/tkneebone3