[78-L] dual purpose machine

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 12 20:38:32 PST 2010

When I worked in Recording Services at the Hugh Hodgson School of Music at
UGA one of the professors had a wire recorder that doubled as a turntable.
When she was a child her father used it to record birthday parties and
sermons (he was a minister).

The recorder didn't work too well and she brought it to us to see if we
could fix it.  As I recall, the amplifier portion of the machine didn't work
and we attempted to find a way to tap into the line from the playback head
and then connect to another amplifier.  We ended up sending the wires off to
someone who does transfers.  Repairing the machine was one of those projects
that we never found time to finish.

I can't remember if the turntable worked at all...

Sammy Jones