[78-L] Dual purpose machine...

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Tue Jan 12 18:52:56 PST 2010

The video of the combination wire recorder and record player is interesting.
I never owned one of these, but recall seeing one advertised in the Sears,
Roebuck catalog, about 1947 or 1948, or?
I worked in a radio/appliance store in 1947.  The boss bought the first wire
recorder in town, and later the school bought one.  Since I was the
designated recording engineer, the band director asked me to record one of
their concerts.  The band had played a few minutes of the Chaikovskii
symphony no. 5, and the wire broke.  Did you ever try to tie a square knot
in a piece of wire about the diameter of a piece of human hair?  I finally
gave up and suggested to the band director that we go back to using our
Wilcox-Gay Recordio and make discs.

Ted Kneebone. 1528 S. Grant St., Aberdeen, SD 57401. Phone: 605-226-3344.
Old Time Radio: http://abe.midco.net/tkneebone3