[78-L] Bessie Smith album

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jan 12 16:27:11 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Fukuda" <pfukuda at att.net>
> So, do any of you have Columbia catalogs or supplements for 1937 to '39,
> pre-CBS ownership? That might shed some light on the matter. Though, I
> have a feeling that ARC considered Columbia an afterthought by this point
> (for popular stuff anyway), and spent more time and money on Brunswick &
> Vocalion.

ARC acquired Columbia VERY cheaply in 1934. I'm guessing that their
ownership
of the labe; was one of the main reasons why CBS took over ARC late in 1938?
ARC mainly used Couimbia to issue classical recordings while they owned the
operation; they had issued some classical material (mostly from Europe) on
Brunswick before 1934.

ARC gradually dropped a number of its labels from mid-1936 on, as records
quit selling; all their "cheap" labels end in mid-1937 (Vocalion continued,
but
had to change to Okeh in 1940 when CBS lost the rights to the Brunswick
and Vocalion names).

Steven C. Barr