[78-L] Christmas Songs

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 09:27:20 PST 2010

<< And the one I heard many times and never got tired of was Bobby Helms' "Jingle
<< Bell Rock". But we need to search out and destroy every copy of the Neil
<< Diamond CD.

<< dl >>

That's the problem with not only Christmas music, but with so many other
forms of music as well. It seems as if the first, breakthrough version of a
song is often the best, and the standard by which other versions are judged,
e.g.,

Jingle Bell Rock, by Bobby Helms
White Christmas, by Bing Crosby
The Chrismas Song, by Nat King Cole
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, by Brenda Lee
Here Comes Santa Claus, by Gene Autry
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, by Andy Williams

Two notable exceptions being Mele Kalikimaka by Jimmy Buffett,
whose version is superior to Bing's, and O Holy Night (Cantique de
Noel) where the version recently recorded by Josh Groban is
better than the one recorded 100 years or so ago by Caruso,
imho.

As always, ymmv.

Tom