[78-L] Child Singers

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:58:28 PST 2010

Here's what Wonkypedia has about Gayla Peevey:

*Gayla Peevey* (born March 8, 1943) is perhaps best known for her song, "I
Want a Hippopotamus for
Christmas<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_a_Hippopotamus_for_Christmas>"
(Columbia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Records>,
1953<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_in_music>).
A child star from Ponca City,
Oklahoma<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponca_City,_Oklahoma>,
she was ten years old when she recorded the novelty
song<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novelty_song>,
which had been written by John
Rox<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Rox&action=edit&redlink=1>in
1950 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_in_music> (who incidentally was
married to Alice Pearce <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Pearce> who
played the first Mrs. Kravitz on the TV Show
Bewitched<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bewitched>
).

Although the song was not recorded as a fund-raiser, the Oklahoma City
Zoo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Zoo>capitalized upon
its popularity through a fund-raising campaign to "buy a
hippo for Gayla" in order to bring a hippo to the zoo. (They had no
hippopotamus <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus> at the time.) The
song raised $3,000. A baby hippo, named Matilda, was procured and flown in
to Oklahoma City and presented by Peevey to the
zoo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo>
.[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayla_Peevey#cite_note-0> Recently Gayla
Peevey's song "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas" was featured in a Telus
commercial.
Career after music

Gayla Peevey graduated from San Diego State
University<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_State_University>,
and received a teaching degree. She left teaching and went into advertising,
where she owned her own firm for 15 years.

She married Cliff Henderson and they have one daughter and three
grandchildren.