[78-L] Child Singers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 11 20:34:11 PST 2010

Never heard from again, eh..?
Barbara Shuttleworth. Soprano, b Toronto 18 Apr ca 1944; B MUS (Juilliard)
1970. She made her debut at five on the CBC radio program 'Small Types Club'
and was heard regularly in that series for the next eight years. She studied
piano with John Coveart and Helen Wilson at the RCMT and voice with Judith
Litante in California. At Juilliard 1965-70 she studied with Suzanne Bloch
(theory and harmony) and Jennie Tourel and Beverly Johnson (voice). While a
member of the Juilliard Opera Theater she sang in productions of Harold
Farberman's The Losers, Richard Rodney Bennett's The Mines of Sulphur, and
Poulenc's La Voix humaine. She has been a member of the New York Chamber
Soloists, and she joined the New York City Opera in 1971. Among her roles with
that company have been Kristina in Janáček's The Makropoulos Affair, Clorinda
in Rossini's La Cenerentola, and Miss Jessel in Britten's The Turn of the
Screw. (She repeated the last-named role with the NACO in concert performances
in Ottawa and Toronto in 1975.) With the Santa Fe Opera she sang Nellie in Lee
Hoiby's Summer and Smoke and the soprano lead in the premiere of Luciano
Berio's Opera. She also has appeared with the Baltimore Opera, the Vancouver
and Edmonton Operas, and the Welsh National Opera, and she made her COC debut
in 1976 as Musetta in La Bohème. Other COC roles include Wanda in The Grand
Duchess of Gerolstein and Susanna in The Marriage of Figaro. She has sung at
the Newport (Rhode Island) Music Festival and at the Wexford Festival in
Ireland. In 1972 she was Lisette in a CBC TV production of Puccini's La
Rondine. She made her New York Philharmonic debut in March 1973 in a
performance of Haydn's L'Incontro Improviso conducted by Pierre Boulez. In 1980
she sang in The Mikado for the Southern Alberta Opera Association (Calgary
Opera) and in 1981 she was Queen Roxana in the Opera Theatre of St Louis
production of Szymanowski's King Roger, its US premiere, and sang in the COC
The Merry Widow..

(Not totally off topic. Her mother, Frosia Gregory, made 78s. Come to think of
it so did Baby Bee, with Byng Whittaker.)