[78-L] Terry Pollard

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 16:52:25 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 5:39 PM
Subject: [78-L] Terry Pollard

> Just heard of the passing of Terry Pollard on December 16 at the age of
> 78. Pollard was a great, vastly unappreciated bop pianist from the 1950s.
> Never saw any notice about her death. She had been in poor health for
> quite a few years after a stroke. There is a wonderful clip from the
> Tonight Show from 1956 of Terry playing piano and vibes with Terry Gibbs.
> I think I showed it an ARSC talk I gave on Gibbs a few years ago. Pollard
> made few records, but I do have a marvelous 10" LP she made for Bethlehem
> in the early '50s (let's not get into that again). I think it was 1953.
>

> Cary Ginell

Right. I have a couple of those tracks. "Fedj" I belive  and some others
"Almost Like Being In Love." etc.
Don Fagerquist (tp) Good stuff.
Wait a minute.......it was January 1953 which is very early in the year. One
could say it was almost 1952,
so we could say it was just past the late 40's.

Al S.

P.S. Was she related to Tommy Pollard, also a pianist,  who made some sides
under his own name joined by Vic Feldman on vibes?
London April 1951 on the Esquire label. (Early 50's just past the late 40's)

Al S.