[78-L] Coates - By the Sleepy Lagoon

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 11 15:35:03 PST 2010

The Cinderella thing seems to have been issued in Canada as two single discs as
well, without an album. Just to confuse things further, there's a ten-inch
version of Sleepy Lagoon, recorded later (probably c. 1940, when I think
Columbia had a number of best-sellers redone on ten-inch to conserve shellac).

A reissue producer who poached a number of projects that I should have done
(and who shall remain nameless) did Coates a couple of times. Holding one of
his projects at arm's length and checking the booklet, I find March 4, 1935 as
the date for the Columbia twelve-incher and for Cinderella (sequential
numbers). US Columbia 7408-M was a pairing of Sloppy Lagoon and Last Love. Last
Love was coupled with Footlights on English Columbia DX 966, Footlights was the
filler to Cinderella somewhere else and I give up.

dl