[78-L] 1950s big band (was Frosty)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 11 14:19:17 PST 2010

We haven't mentioned the obvious factors that killed off the big bands. The
war, the draft, the 1942-44 AFM ban, the ASCAP ban which made much more C&W and
"urban" music available, the proliferation of post-war independent labels, the
increased costs for little return which killed touring for big bands (who also
faced a populace that wanted to stay home and watch television), the rise of
the vocalists DURING the ban while the big bands were disintegrating....

dl