[78-L] 1950s big bands

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Jan 11 11:12:43 PST 2010

Cary,
Your definition of a Big Band is, in fact, a nice definition of a Big Jazz
Orchestra playing jazz music. But there were big bands in "the jazz era",
with similar line-up as Ellington's or Henderson's, who rarely played jazz.
You'll find them listed in Leo Walker's "Big Band Almanac", for instance,
but not much about them in Rust's "Jazz Records": Art Kassell, Frankie
Carle, Ray Noble etc.
Some people prefer to distinguish them from Big Bands, calling them Dance
Bands. It may be convenient when you compile discographies. But there's no
point identifying Artie Shaw & His Orchestra as a Big Band on side A
(without strings) and as a Dance Orchestra on side B (with strings). Or the
one when he plays swing music and the other when he plays sweet.
Of course I know that many of the recordings I listed were made by studio
orchestras. And that they were MOR. But what are we trying to prove? That
Big Band music got its form once and for all in the 1930's? Or that it
changed with time?
Tex Beneke, Les Brown, Harry James, Benny Goodman and many other Big Bands
recorded pop hits in the 1960's and 70's. "Honey", "Little Green Apples",
"Aquarius" - you name them. That wasn't even MOR, it was in the ditch. Big
Band music?
The truth is: it wasn't so much the Big Bands that died in the 1950's, it
was jazz music as popular music. You won't find any jazz combos, other than
the Dixieland units, in the charts either after 1954. Big Band music, be it
dance music, sweet music, music played by studio orchestras, with or without
strings, soundtracks or backings for Patience & Prudence (no, they managed
themselves), survived longer than popular jazz, thanks to the arrangers and
all the first class musicians from the classical Big Bands who soon made up
the core of the studio orchestras.
Big Band Jazz has survived too, of course, but so has Calypso, Ragtime, Palm
Court music, Oom-pah and other hitmaking styles and formats - for those who
care. But we aren't many enough to affect the sales charts.
Kristjan