[78-L] 1950s big band (was Frosty)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 11 10:08:26 PST 2010

Billy May went only to #49 in the US. Not a hit.

Les Baxter? You gotta be kidding. Unchained Melody and Wake The Town are
vocals. Poor People of Paris is "cute instrumental" and no more big band than
my Aunt Geri's grocery list.

Honey-Babe is strictly vocal, not a big band record by anyone's definition.

Nelson Riddle led a big band for singers like Sinatra but Lisbon Antigua has
STRINGS and no big band elements. Eddie Heywood with Hugo Winterhalter comes
closer to big band.

Ted Heath couldn't sell shoelaces in the US but he definitely counts in the Uk.

Reg Owen was a top ten hit here, so that one counts. Ditto Ray Anthony. We're
almost up to ten....

Answer to backup question: Mitchell Ayres?

dl