[78-L] MOR in the '50s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 11 09:38:02 PST 2010

Two Toronto area radio stations have reinvented themselves as playing "all the
best" and "all the hits" and "vinyl 95.3". You will look in vain for anything
by Bobbie Gentry, John Denver, Barry Manilow and so forth..never mind what you
think of these artists, they all had number one records. They're also totally
ignoring most 50s and 60s R&B. Every time one consultant comes up with a
brilliant concept (ha!), everybody else is doing it the following week.
Remember when every program director went to see "The Big Chill"? Most of them
hadn't touched Motown material up to that point.

dl