[78-L] Bessie Smith album

Philip Fukuda pfukuda at att.net
Mon Jan 11 09:24:37 PST 2010

David, Mike and others,
There is no catalog number on my album. The spine just reads "Bessie Smith Album."

The records are 3171-D through 3176-D, but with following matrix numbers (so yes, these are dubs):

3171: missing from my album
3172: Careless Love Blues (21822)
          Weeping Willow Blues (21837)
3173: There Will Be A Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight (21840)
          Alexander's Ragtime Band (21841)
3174: Muddy Water (21853)
          Money Blues (21871)
3175: missing
3176: Nobody Knows When You're Down And Out (21842)
          Back-Water Blues (21870)

The records are a mixture of blue label, block lettering COLUMBIA, with and without "Full Range Recording" at the top. So, I misspoke earlier. The ARC-Columbia label was not defunct in 1938, but probably limped into 1939 (should have checked "Note the Notes" first).

Also, the circular photo of Bessie on the cover is pasted on, though very expertly so it's hard to tell. The photo is a halftone, by the way.  My digital camera is broken, but I can piece together a color scan for you Mike.

So, do any of you have Columbia catalogs or supplements for 1937 to '39, pre-CBS ownership? That might shed some light on the matter. Though, I have a feeling that ARC considered Columbia an afterthought by this point (for popular stuff anyway), and spent more time and money on Brunswick & Vocalion.

Philip

Message: 13