[78-L] To M. Biel about Frosty

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Jan 11 00:16:46 PST 2010

The 78 of Frosty has "1N" at the 12:00 o'clock position of the run-off spiral.  I wouldn't pretend for a second that I have anywhere near the knowledge about these numbers that you do.  This may either mean that it is take one, or as dl said, they may have all been dubbed from magnetic tape at this point so every pressing would have been take 1.

As I wrote earlier, the glaring difference between any copy of the 78 I've ever heard and the CD, (and dl's LP), is the line on the 78:

"weren't they surprised when before their eyes...."

and on the CD:

"were they surprised, before their eyes...."

That doesn't make a lot of sense and sounds to me like an error.  That's why I determined that it was probably an earlier take.  As far as I know, this was a brand new song when Autry recorded it so he wouldn't have been familiar with it.  Perhaps he got tripped up trying to fit those 10 syllables into those 8 notes.  But you said you have the original score, so you can see which way that line appears in the score.

db