[78-L] From Frosty to Toscanini

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 18:13:45 PST 2010

Michael Biel wrote:

>   I have alternates on two of the three sides of the
> Levant Rhapsody in Blue on Columbia.

Also there was at least 1 alt for a side of the Concerto in F. I haven't
seen documentation, I just heard an obvious difference in one of the
reissues where the violin section anticipates a cue just after a
silence. However, I do not know that this particular instance happened
on the 78s. It may have been only for the LP or CD issue, in which case
it would belong in the same category as the Victor "wrong take" LP
reissues. Are we creating a name for this kind of reissue? Accidental
release?

I discovered that the entire
> Stoky/Rach Rach 2 electrical has issued alternate takes except for side
> 8, I believe, and that Victor FALSIFIED the session sheet in the Artist
> File to cover up the use of H-30 masters for all the post war and
> microgroove sets.  The session sheet in the original chronological
> binder had not been altered and showed that the pre-war sets had the
> approved M takes and post-war sets didn't.

Incidentally, a third take of side 9 turned up not too long ago, which I
believe was discussed here. Only limited distribution apparently, so the
assumption made that it was a mistake and not intentional. No CD reissue
of this side.

joe salerno