[78-L] From Frosty to Toscanini...

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Sun Jan 10 10:45:24 PST 2010

Writing of the 2 turntable cutter arrangement, I recall my copy of the
Toscanini/NYPSO Beethoven 7th symphony (Victor) had those strange side
breaks.  Some had lots of silence at the beginnings of sides.  Also the
Rossini Semiramide overture.  Also, the Heifetz/Toscanini of Beethoven's
violin concerto used that system.  At one point, part of a note was cut off
at the end of a side, and the next side began with the remnant of the note
from the previous side.  Koussevitzky's record of the Roman Carnival
overture at the end had the sound cut off, the hall reverberation, not the
music (RCA Victor).

I think the Toscanini Beethoven 7th was my first experience comparing the 78
with the LP version. The 78 seemed to have more substantial sound than the
LP.

Stokowski tried the fade out/fade in technique with his recording of the
Chaikovskii Nutcracker Suite for Victor.  I think when they dubbed this for
RCA/Camden, they connected the sides without the fades.

Ted Kneebone. 1528 S. Grant St., Aberdeen, SD 57401. Phone: 605-226-3344.
Old Time Radio: http://abe.midco.net/tkneebone3