[78-L] British acoustical phonographs (was: Dumb Gennetts)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 9 20:54:24 PST 2010

Michael Biel wrote:
> It is a hoot to look at the articles in the War Years about the shortage
> of new records and the non-existence of any imports from the U.S., but
> yet there are classified ads in the same issues demanding ONLY records
> which have never been touched by a steel needle, and store ads saying
> their records have been "fibred", meaning pre-played with a nice, juicy,
> fresh cactus needle.  Those records are now caked with gook and full of
> crackle.

It's also a hoot to read the classified ads in the back of Gramophone in the
early 50s..all sorts of postings like "gentleman wants to meet gentleman to go
mountain climbing and listen to records". These all disappeared one month. I
wonder if they've been retained in the online versions (and if the gentlemen
ever found true love and fibred records)?