[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 18:21:40 PST 2010

I first heard Wardell Gray via some CDs of Earl Hines from 1947.He also cut an album for
Modern/RPM Records sometime in the fifties.It was called "Way Out Wardell".Gray was
murdered in 1955 while appearing with Benny Carter's band in Vegas.The CD was put out
by LaserLight/Delta Music around 1991.They were transcription discs.I actually picked up
several of them including a good CD of Jimmy Dorsey's band circa 1946-49.Others I bought
were of Louis Prima,Tommy Dorsey,Artie Shaw,Les Brown circa 1936,Basie(which had
some horribly recorded tracks),the aforementioned Hines sides and a CD of Buddy Rich's
rock band of the late sixties.The Prima CD I bought because it had a track of "Saint Louis
Blues" on it and I had that one on a Varsity 78 circa 1946.From an engineering standpoint,I
thought it was quite good as opposed to those Varsities from the late thirties to early forties.Those Varsities from the thirties were as bad as the aforementioned Brunswicks and
Vocalions(I'm also including sides issued on Melotone).What can anyone out there tell me
anything about the Variety and Master Records labels.The latter label,Master,was allegedly
owned by Irving Mills.There are a few Brunswicks in my collection that were manufactured
by Master.The master numbers were prefixed by the letter "M".Regarding Varsity,I had
heard that the label was started by Eli Oberstein after he left RCA.The Varsities were iss-
used as being produced by the United States Record Corporation.I know of his Elite recordings by way of a handful sides Bunny Berigan recorded for between November of
1941 and March of 1942.A couple of those Elites came out on Design Records in the
early to mid sixties.I never knew who bought the masters to them save the fact that some
time in the forties Firestone Tire and Rubber issued them on the Philharmonic Air Chief
label.Firestone used to market a cheap line of radio and phonographs back then.I had a
Firestone clock radio.Those Berigan sides were reissued on Melodie Jazz along with some
of Georgie Auld and the Artie Shaw Orchestra from January-February 1940.