[78-L] Kate Smith stamp

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Fri Jan 8 11:49:25 PST 2010

>I'm no doctor,  but isn't it usually the other way around, i.e. the weight
>is what brings on/aggravates the diabetes?
>
>Taylor

It depends on the type of diabetes. Type 1 (formerly called "juvenile
onset diabetes") is an autoimmune disease where the body destroys the
cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Type 2 (which used to be
called "adult onset diabetes") happens when the fat cells in the body
become insensitive to insulin. Considering that Ella was diagnosed
with diabetes late in life, she probably had type 2, so her weight
may have brought on the condition.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/