[78-L] Fat songs (was Kate Smith)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Jan 8 10:47:22 PST 2010

She keeps me warm in the winter, shady in the summertime
That's what I like about that fat gal of mine
And when I see my landlord
There's so much o' her to hide behind
You wouldn't pay rent if your time was spent like mind.

Now she's so sweet with the softest heart
She's pretty soft around other parts
And at night when I lay me down
I don't need a pillow when she's around
Warm in the winter, shady in the summertime
That's what I like about that fat gal of mine.

Now when she's tickled
So much o' her has the biggest time
I tell all my jokes to that fat gal of mine
She's never fickle
You better put your name on the dotted line
First time you meet with a big fat gal like mine

This hard time talk don't trouble me
I keep as happy as a honeybee
If things get rough and times get hard
I'll render my gal and sell the lard
Warm in the winter, shady in the summertime
That's what I like about that fat gal of mine

Now she's my shelter in a time of storm
I helter skelter right under her arm
She's a beauty if you look at her face
And you should'n't be a-lookin' any other place

            ------Merle Travis, Capitol Americana 40026 (July 1947)