[78-L] Kate Smith stamp

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Jan 8 09:09:20 PST 2010

At 11:44 AM 1/8/2010, you wrote:
>It was a different time and place.  She certainly didn't SEEM to mind the
>jokes and participated in them.  Humor was different then and what we
>wouldn't/can't do was tolerated/accepted/condoned/promoted - whatever.

Well, let's be honest-- even today, people still make fat jokes, and
it's still considered okay, which I think is wrong.  On the other
hand, some of the press back then did not make fun of her-- in fact
they admired Kate-- I have a wonderful and very favorable article
about her in one of the fan magazines (I think it's Radio Stars)
where it basically says she that yes, is a larger woman but so
what?  She's a great singer and has a great personality and everyone
should let Kate be Kate.