[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 19:57:10 PST 2010

I taught myself to play tenor sax back in late 1969 as a junior in high school.I used Hawkins as my role model as well as listening to the likes of Don Byas,Webster as
well as a few now forgotten players such as Dick Wilson of Andy Kirk's band and Bob
Carroll who played tenor for Don Redman in the thirties.One tenor player I can't really
classify was Chu Berry,whose tone struck me as being somewhere between Hawkins
and Lester Young whose tone I could never duplicate even though I tried to do so.I still
prefer Hawkins and his school over the some of the later tenorists I also heard from the
late thirties.I heard Georgie Auld by way of a handful of Bunny Berigan recordings but he
was never a favourite of mine.Charlie Barnet I got a kick out of but I admired his arrangers
even more so.Whatever respect Flip Phillips had was lost after that infamous solo he took
on "Perdido" with the JATP in the late forties.The sound Hawkins had by 1950 left me so-
mewhat befuddled:was he losing his lung power by then or was he just changing his tone
to accomodate the newer jazz fans?I cite his recordings from 1950 on Roost as examples.