[78-L] Acoustic/electrical recordings on same disc

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 19:34:21 PST 2010

You're right regarding the sound of those acoustic Brunswicks.I felt that their recordings in
the mid to late thirties were horrible-I mentioned a 1937 Brunswick I have of Gus Arnheim's
orchestra doing Shubert's "Serenade" and it was truly awful.Those recordings from the mid
twenties were so much better.However,I do remember a Duke Ellington date where some
engineer put a speaker and mike in the men's room to give it an echo chamber like sound.
This was around 1936.Can anyone give me some input regarding the rather high quality
sound OKeh recordings from the twenties? I can cite a few Bix Beiderbecke-Frank Trumb-
auer for examples such as "Three Blind Mice" and "Krazy Kat".