[78-L] Death of Ed Beech

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 6 15:58:44 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Chichester" <dnjchi78 at live.com>
To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Death of Ed Beech

Jazz broadcaster Ed Beech,from NYC has died.  I used to listen enthralled to
his program "Just Jazz" on WRVR-FM.

Someone on 78-L (IIRC) bought my reel-to-reel tapes of many of his shows,
but I've forgotten who.  If that person reads this, please reply to me
off-list. Thanks!

Don Chichester

That''s a shocker. In his day he had an important program and provided
complete personnel and discographical info for each tune he played.
Each week he broadcast a four hour tribute to an individual jazz artist or
orchestra. It was important radio and he was missed when he left.
He moved to the Northwest, either Spokane or Seattle I believe, and had been
suffering from asthma for many years..
I made a good number of reel to reel tapes of his wonderful 'Just Jazz"
shows also. I cherish them.
I remember that out of a clear blue sky the station changed to Country and
Western overnight, one not so fine day.
That ended all of its fine programming.. POW!
 Just what we needed!
It was a fine station in its day and was a beacon of literate, cultural
content. (Until it was sold that is.)
Needless to say, just like WQXR  our 50,000 watt FM classical station which
just was sold to Salsa interests by the New York Times,
WRVR, also , was too good for us unwashed masses. It had to go.
What's next?
Quo Vadis?

Al Simmons