[78-L] Alto sax style omissions

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 20:13:27 PST 2010

Mike Doty was with Berigan from August,1937 until the late spring-early summer of 1938.
Doty had worked with Tommy Dorsey from 1936 until Skeets Herfurt replaced him in Tommy Dorsey's band.There is a story that was told of Dorsey's jazz clarinetist Joe Dixon
was in bed with a high fever.When he told Dorsey he couldn't make this one date(2/18/37),
Dorsey blew his top when Dixon's sub was hired;his name was Frank Langone.Langone was often omitted on this one date because discographers mistook him for one Don "Slats"
Long.When Dixon recovered,he quit Dorsey and went to work for Gus Arnheim.I have a badly recorded Brunswick of "Shubert's Serenade" on which Dixon's unmistakable style was clearly evident.Dixon joined Berigan by August and he and Mike Doty quit Berigan after a blowup between Berigan,Doty and Dixon.Clyde Rounds,another veteran of the 1936-37 Dorsey band  had been with Berigan since March of 1937.He was a tenor player who
doubled baritone and bass clarinet.Rounds was still with Berigan by the end of 1938.Georgie Auld was another original member who joined Artie Shaw in time for a  December,1938 date for Bluebird.George Bohn and Gus Bivona were Doty's and Dixon's re-
placements.Bohn didn't stay long as did Milton Schatz and Murray Williams.Doty,later on,
worked with Jan Savitt and I wonder if it was his alto I heard on a Decca 78 of "My Heart
at Thy Sweet Voice".Auld,too,worked briefly with Savitt until he joined Goodman's late 1940
band.As for my comment on Dixon's clarinet style,I had heard Goodman and Woody Herman as a kid when my parents bought an old Philco radio-phonograph combination and
a number of Goodman and Herman 78s were in with the records as part of the deal.Dixon's
tone was,to my ears,a very brittle,thin sound.I play clarinet and my sound was very dark.I
haven't touched it in some time.