[78-L] SHURES & 78s, etc. (was Turning the tables)

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:29:42 PST 2010

I have one of those Stereo Studio Dynetics too, the M216, wedded to a
Fairchild 412-1 table.  Wasn't there a 3 mil stylus made for them at one
time? I'd love to find one for it (if not a 2.5) for playing
transcriptions.  (Or swap the 216 out even-up for a more modern arm to which
a modern cartridge and headshell could be fitted.)

I'm also a Dynaco fan and user.  I have a pair of Mk IIIs, a Stereo 70 and
one each, a PAS 2 and a PAS 3X.  I'm not sure which of today's KT88s would
be good in the Mk IIIs....I CAN tell you to avoid the Sovtek KT88s like the
plague!  I bought two matched pairs of the Sovteks to replace two pairs of
mid-1980s production GE 6550s, and the Sovteks each had one tube fry out
within a few weeks of installation (and I'd set the bias to only 1 volt,
instead of the 1.3 I used with the 6550s, never mind the old-standard 1.56
they specified for the Mullard or Genalex KT88s of yore).  I went back to
the 6550s, and all was well ever after with them.

All my Dynaco amps have needed new electrolytic filter caps and tubes from
time to time but still sound great.  Where I live now the 70 is amp enough,
driving a pair of Altec 9849-8As in my wee living room.  (I am lucky enough
to also have a Frankenstein pair of A7-500s and can vouch for their
excellence.  In the summer of 2008 I ran sound for a local bluegrass group
called Blue Dogwood when they played on the square here in Mountain Home,
Arkansas, and two of the songs are on YouTube videos someone made with a
primitive camcorder....in one of them you can see one of the A7s when the
camera moved too far.)

My PAS 2 is up and running again.  12X4 rectifiers were a bit of a PITA over
the years so a few years ago I substituted a pair of silicon rectifiers to
replace the tube.  The preamp was given to me in 1982 (along with the 70)
and it's an oldie....the pots have the code 137 6003 on them (137:  EIA code
for the manufacturer, CTS; the other four digits comprise the year and week
in the year, thus '6003' means the third week of 1960.)  I replaced the 4
section electrolytic filter cap with two 47 µf/500 volt and two 100 µf/350
volt caps....works great and is amazingly quiet.

Sounds terrific on 78s!

I need to save my money for a new power transformer for my PAS 3X.  I bought
it used in 1986 (along with the Mk IIIs); it worked great until one day in
1994 when the transformer went up in smoke.

I'd recommend Joe Curcio's site (Dynaco Doctor I think it's called) for
replacement parts for Dynaco gear (transformers etc).  There are quality new
preamp tubes produced now from JJ (look for the ECC803S) and some of the
Sovtek types (reissue Tung-Sol brand or some under the Electro-Harmonix
name) also work well.