[78-L] King of Jazz moniker

martha MLK402 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 5 17:41:38 PST 2010

Don Rayno dates it to late 1919, in this context:

 Paul's quartet was playing at the Maryland Hotel in Pasadena, alternating
with Henri Van Praag's orchestra.

 "Whiteman and Van Praag's musical approaches were vastly different. Van
Praag played strictly concert music, and was, in fact, quite vocal about his
dislike for jazz music: 'I hate, loathe, and detest jazz', he told
California Life. 'It is an insult to good, decent music.'  With Whiteman
jazzing up the classics more than ever it seems likely that he and Van Praag
were not the closest of friends. The violinist's arrival may have in fact
influenced Paul's leaving the Maryland Hotel. The Pasadena Evening Post,
noting the strong contrast between the two, observed: 'Mr.Van Praag has won
the title of King of Concert Music, whereas the friends of Mr.Whiteman have
with much enthusiasm bestowed the title King of Jazz upon him.'  This is,
interestingly, the first mention of the sobriquet that would later, during
the 1920s, become the press's most favored title for Whiteman, although
Whiteman himself cared little for it. "