[78-L] SHURES & 78s, etc. (was Turning the tables)

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 5 16:14:29 PST 2010

> Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:07:55 -0700
> From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Turning the tables
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

> I was about to mention the stabilizer brush on your V15 cartridge
> because stopping vertical oscillations is exactly what it really is
> there for, not cleaning records.  That was a major problem with the I
> and II,  and I remember when they added it, I think to the III. The
> bouncing is seen on other long cantilever cartridges, and is more of a
> problem, ironically, when the arm resonance is brought down to the very
> very low frequency range, but also when too good a cartridge is put in
> an ordinary arm.  When the I and II were introduced, not too many people
> had the really good arms these are designed for.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

===========

My Shure cartridge experience goes back to their Stereo Dynetic
arm/cartridge combo (1962). It used a dedicated cartridge (a  physical body
variation of their first stereo cartridge, I believe) and plugged into the
end of the arm. The arm moved in the lateral plane only and  vertical motion
was restricted. Only the cartridge moved vertically via a cueing button on
the arm just behind the cartridge. A similar arm concept had been utilized
in older Pickering straight type broadcast arms but they were far more
massive and may or may not have required dedicated cartridges.   The
restricted vertical movement was a problem with my original Empire 208 which
had a platter mat with ridges for 12",  10" and 7" records, each ridge at a
lower level from the others which made playing discs smaller than 12" (the
highest ridge)
a problem as once set up properly the cartridge & stylus couldn't extend low
enough due to the restricted vertical movement of the arm. All in all,
somewhat Rube Goldbergish although a great looking arm, all black and slnder
similar in style to Infinity's later Black Widow arm which also was a
problem for me with the Shures. The Shure reps kept replacing the cartridges
when I'd show up at the now long amented audio shows in NYC but nothing
changed, it often sounded as if it mistracked and Shure's big thing then was
their super tracking capability.  It seemingly never occured to me to
reverse the Empire mat to gain a flat surface.

Eventually, whatever the problem was abated when I moved on to the II, II
and IV.   I wound up with two of each of them  all of which I still have and
use occasionally except for the IV (no more LP stylus) which is by far the
best of them all.
I do use the  IV for 78 recording to CDR.  With a Dyna PAS 2 or 3 preamp
(with the  78 curve wired in) or a Marantz 7T with its various curve and
filter options I'm in business. BTW, my original Dyna PAS 2 stereo preamp (I
built it fron the kit around 1959 or '60)  still met specs a few years ago
on uts last bench test and has NEVER been a problem. A remarkable record.
Wouldst only that David Hafler and Dyna gear were still with us!!!

The Shure III did not have the sabilizer,  it first appeard on the IV
although at some point Shure was offering an add-on outboard goodie that was
supposed to serve the same function.

The II and the IV in particular were superb tracking and sounding. I always
found the III to be a bit brighter than those.
I still consider the IV to be the best cartridge I've ever used along with a
long defunct Micro Acoustics 2000e for which I would kill for a replacement
stylus. Micro Acoustics made at least two great products in their short
reign, , the 2000e cartridge and a tweeter array for bookshelf speakers
(which resembled the old Janzen electrostatic tweeter) like the ARs or KLHs.
I had one for a short time and didn't keep it. HUGE mistake!! It opened up
the sound of some boolshelfs to a remarkable degree without pain.

For the 78 collectors who always seem to be searching for a 78 capable
preamp I would suggest a Dynaco Pas 2, 3 or 3x. They're tubed and probably
no longer command high prices. The mic input can be modified (VERY  simply,
a Dynaco option) to a 78 friendly curve. That along with the tone controls,
mono swittch & rumble filter of a PAS preamp and/or an outboard equalizer
does wonders for 78s. I've been doing it this way  for years with my Shre
V-IV and V-II for my mid thirties & later  collection and wouldn't have it
any other way. Caveat: Of course the Dyanas are only available as  used
(experienced is a preferable term) today and unfortunately, there have been
all too many fools who thought they could "modify" them and other Dyna tube
gear to make them sound better. Arghh!! This was a travesty and an
impossible task. The Dyna tube preamps tested and sounded as good as the the
state of the art competition of its time and more than likely still do. I
have several and you'd have to kill me to get them. Happy trails,
Jack