[78-L] Turning the tables

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Jan 4 11:46:20 PST 2010

M. Biel wrote:

Yes this is a good point.  I certainly agree that rising and falling of
the record surface can set up bouncing and resonance of the tone arm and
cartridge, and this can be caused by a warped record (naturally or with
pennies underneath) as well as a tilted table.

Thank you for the compliment but I'm not quite sure what the "good point" was.  What I was trying to say was that putting the pennies under the otherwise flat record to simulate an unlevel turntable did not affect the sound at all.  Certainly a record with a small warp on the edge, (a common affliction on LPs), can set up oscillations in the tone arm as you describe, but when the period of rise and fall is ca. 2 seconds, there doesn't seem to be any such oscillation.  Perhaps the situation is helped by the stabilizer brush on the V15 cartridges..

db