[78-L] Alto sax style omissions (was incorrectly changed to: 78-L Digest, Vol 16, Issue 6)

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 08:05:24 PST 2010

There's also Cleanhead Vinson (don't know if you consider him a poor man's LJ too),
 Tab Smith and Buster Smith. I'd call Vinson voice-like or vocal, Tab S. melodic and Buster S. lyrical, if I understand your categories correctly.

There's Bobby Smith with Erskine Hawkins too.   IIR,  Albert 'Budd' Johnson was playing alto and tenor while with Hines in the '30s-'40s - a relatively uncelebrated guy who traces all through the 20th century music of his time.

Gene