[78-L] Turning the tables

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 3 21:30:35 PST 2010

Yes this is a good point.  I certainly agree that rising and falling of
the record surface can set up bouncing and resonance of the tone arm and
cartridge, and this can be caused by a warped record (naturally or with
pennies underneath) as well as a tilted table.  The Shure V-15 has a
long cantilever, and I feel that these are more likely to have this
problem.  That is one of the reasons I used an Audio Empire cartridge in
the 60s for microgroove because it had a very short cantilever.  The
same is true of the Stanton 500 and other carts used for 78s.  It is
shorter than what the Shure M44 and SC35 have.  You watch those things
bounce two or three times for every bounce the record forces.  When this
happens there is a subsonic frequency added to the audio as well as
fluttering of the pitch because the stylus is possibly moving a bit
forward and back with each lowering and raising of the cartridge.  One
raise and lower per rev due to the uneven platter can result in four or
five bounces of the cartridge.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com