[78-L] TURNING THE TABLES, (was New Cheap Turntable

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jan 3 18:45:17 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "JD" <jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com>
> As there has been much discussion here of late about cheaper and/or "DJ"
> type turntables  I offer my less than ideal and rather disappointing
> experience with one, not too long ago.
> A few years ago  I decided to try one of the so-called "DJ" three speed
> turntables in order  to be able to utilize a single turntable with
> variable speed for my LPs & 78s. The one I chose was an obvious copy of
> the costly and industry standard Panasonic (model  1200 I believe). It
> was, at the time one of the few and possibly one of the first of the
> Panasonic clones. Curious as to whether it might actually be manufactured
> by Panasonic as a stencil brand  I asked the US office of the manufacturer
> and was told that it wasn't. I had some reservations but considering that
> this might be the ideal turntable for my requirements if it performed well
> I purchsed one from a local  authorized dealer with the understanding that
> I could return it if dissatisfied.   As it turned out this was a fortunate
> decision. Lest I upset the manufacturer and possibly leave myself open to
> who knows what and maybe upset any owners of this brand I won't identify
> the name other than to say that its models h
> ave been mentioned here often among the various other similar turntable
> brands and have apparently  become quite popular.  Also, I'm not trying to
> make any owners of this brand unhappy; chances are that if they own one
> they're satisfied or oblivious of any problems I mention which hopefully
> have since been corrected.
> As I unpacked and set it up I was much impressed with the apparent quality
> and heft of the thing. Playing LPs on it, unfortunately was quite another
> story and revealed an array of GROSS problems.  One of the first LPs I
> tried was  a classical Mercury Living Presence Stereo that began with
> solo clarinet. I don't remember the disc or the piece, It just happened to
> be the first LP I pulled from  the rack to play on the new turntable. As
> probably everyone knows, those Mercury recordings are near legendary for
> their audio fidelity. As the clarinet passage began  I was greeted with
> what seemed a nvery obvious flutter effect. WHAT!!!??? This can't be! I
> couldn't believe that any decent turntable of any vintage would exhibit
> this level of flutter. It had to be something else.  I then played the
> disc on both my turntables (a Technics SLQX 300 and an old Empire 108)
> and the playback was flawless, as I expected. I concluded that the flutter
> effect was of course, not flutter but more t
> han likely caused by some sort of arm resonance due to less than ideal
> design. Let me add that I was using an excellent cartridge, properly
> mounted and that I'm experienced enough in audio and music (a professional
> in both) to know what I'm doing and certainly what I'm hearing. Further
> listening revealed two more gems of problems; a very obvious and
> disturbingly high rumble leve, even at moderate listening levelsl (most
> [...]
Meanwhile, I am SERIOUSLY looking for fifties/sixties/(et al?) "record
players" which
offer the "78" speed! You see, these usually use ceramic cartridges...whose
output
signal is around 1 volt...meaning that I can redirect the cartridge output,
using a
newly-installed "mini phono plug," into the "Line In jack of my sound card!

I did this for MANY years...I used a late-fifties RCA Victor "record player"
(which
I found in the neighbourhood "trash!"), with the cartridge o/p fed into the
"Lone
In" jack of a sixties Sony r2r deck (it functioned as the "heart" of my
sound
system then...!).

I just bought the n8-3d diamond 3-mil 78 needle which I need, to play my
c. 56500 78's...!

All the lightweight players (tracking pressue c. 1 gram?!) have always
seemed to me to be MUCH better at picking up surface noise than
actual content...!!

Steven C. Barr