[78-L] Yodeling

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jan 3 16:54:57 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Sanderson" <dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com>
> Don't know it, but have had a taste for yodeling and other odd
> vocalizations for a long time.  One of my favorites is the DeZurick
> Sisters, "The Cackle Sisters," a country duet who yodeled in harmony and
> did amazing arrangements during the 1930s.  French Canadians picked up
> the yodel as well.  Singing using falsetto some of the time is probably
> universal; it is, interestingly, part of Hawaiian traditional singing.
> The trick of going back and forth over the break in the voice seems
> almost inevitably attractive.
>
>From 1967 to 1970, I was serving with the USAF in Garmisch-Partenkirchen,
Germany...part of "Oberbayern" (High, or upper Bavaria)! In that area,
yodeling
was the standard form of "folk music" (in the ACTUAL meaning of that term!).
Each year there would be a number of "festivals" with live music provided
by "oom-pah" bands and yodlers!

Steven C. Barr
(Anybody know how yodeling found its way into country music (probably
1920's or so?!)