[78-L] TURNING THE TABLES, (was New Cheap Turntable

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 3 15:07:34 PST 2010

  I think that rather than some of the other potential problems David
Burnham mentions it probably was a defective unit that JD had received,
especially since he says that others he had looked at from that brand
did not have a rising and falling turntable during rotation which is
what he said this one had.  That ALWAYS is a defect, and has nothing to
do with acoustic feedback from the speakers unless those are VERY strong
speakers!!  While DJs tend to like the straight arm rather than the S
shape I prefer, I think that DJ tables are designed for strength for the
rough usage AND TRANSPORT they receive, while audiophool tables, arms,
and cartridges are well known for the delicateness. But some of the
finest Techniques tables were used by dance DJs -- but were they
designed FOR them or used by them when they realized how good they were?

But any turntable could be delivered defective.  I also think that JD
should identify the turntable (and even himself).

Mike (not anonymous) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>