[78-L] Yodeling

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sat Jan 2 07:42:44 PST 2010

Another amazing yodeler was none other than Bill Haley. Long before his rockabilly days, Haley was a cowboy yodeler in Chester, Pennsylvania. His early 78s on the Cowboy label, under the name Bill Haley & his Four Aces of Western Swing, featuring songs such as "Yodel My Blues Away," are extremely rare (I've never seen one, but there is a reissue on the Australian Grass Roots LP label that has his Cowboy titles).

Elton Britt was an acrobat yodeler as well. His RCA Victor version of "Chime Bells" features a note that he holds for 26 seconds. Try it sometime. I don't have his original ARC version of the song - if anyone does, time the note that he holds toward the end of the song and see how long it lasts.

Cary Ginell