[78-L] Alto sax style

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jan 1 22:55:20 PST 2010

>> Taylor
>>
>> Here's Les Robinson's solo on 'Body and soul' from a 1945 recording on
>> Black & White.  From an album called JUNIOR JAZZ.  The rest of the
>> musicians
>> are Jimmy Bunn, piano; Jackie Mills, drums; Red Callendar, bass; and
>> Irving
>> Ashby, guitar.

Wow,  what a treat!  Many thanks for posting this,  Royal.  Clearly,  Les
should have been given more solo space on record.

What name was this one issued under?

Listening to this track,  with drummer Jackie Mills,  reminded me of Johnny
Bothwell,  another very distinctive and melodic alto player who does nice
solo work on a number of Boyd Raeburn sides around this time.

Thanks again from

Taylor