[78-L] New Cheap Turntable

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 1 20:07:28 PST 2010

Dan Van Landingham wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting one of these turntables I can plug into my PC.How is the
> worksmanship on them?I have alot of LPs as well as the remnant of my 78 rpm collection
> I still have a Numark cartridge I bought new a few years ago and I liked it..I'm glad to hear
> the turntable has a pitch control on it like old Duals I picked up here and there at various
> garage sales and thrift stores.The only complaint I ever had with those of Duals was with
> that detachable headshell:the metal contacts in the headshell pitted very badly and I sta-
> rted to have grounding problems with them.Come to think of it,I had the same trouble with
> those Elac Miracords;the worksmanship on them was quite good except where that bad
> grounding problem occurred.I'd like an opinion on those new PC ready turntables.

You must spend a goodly amount of money on one to get good quality. I
would buy one where you can get a good look at it and hear it perform. I
would go to a high fidelty store such a Flanner in Milwaukee (if they
still exist). The survive only in major cities. Buying such a thing on
the Internet is financial bingo IMHO unless you know exactly what you want..

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.