[78-L] Alto sax style

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 1 19:14:00 PST 2010

Johnny Hodges is at the top of my list regarding "melodic alto players".However,I also liked
altoist Harry Terrell of Mitchell Ayres and his Fashions in Music.Ayres was under contract
to RCA.I remember Terrell by way of a Bluebird 78 of "Can't Get Out of This Mood" which I
wore out.I play both alto and tenor sax which I learned on my own in high school.I also do-
uble trumpet and trombone but due to an up and coming open heart surgery,my  second,I
had to put those horns away in my closet.As of late,I've revisited the violin.guitar and organ
which is an instrument I hadn't played in years.The violin I hadn't touched since 1972 when
I was a music major at the local community college here in the Coos Bay-North Bend,Ore-
gon area.Another altoist who had an impact on me was the late Arthur "Skeets" Herfurt
whose records I collected concentrating on his alto work.I had known him for some ten years.I first spoke to him in 1982 and  continued to do so until his death in April of 1992.
     I have an alto sax mouthpiece he once gave me some twenty five years ago.He was tru-
ly nice man from what I remember of him.Hodges had a big impact on him.