[78-L] Holy orders!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Dec 31 19:46:18 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>I wish Johnny Ray had become a priest...or better yet,  one of those monks
> who takes a vow of silence.

Probably right...along with virtually ALL of his pop-music contemporaries!!

The problem was that popular music, having enthusiastically joined "the
swing era" (1935-1946), found itself with no identifiable musical
"destination!"
In fact, this era is one of the NADIRS of western pop music; "Swing" had
become obsolete, leaving NO easily identifiable successor! A few artists
and groups were still trying to revive the concept without noticeable
success,
but most of the "pop music scene" fell into a horribly boring, basically
useless "limbo" of gawdawful tunes, often sung in unidentifiable "dialects!"

Along with Ray's "Cry," we were forced to suffer "Oh, Mein Papa"...
"Throw Mama From the Train"..."Tennessee Waltz"...and other
terminally-boring tunes I shudder of which to think!! Little did we
know that "rock'n'roll" was waiting (Gott sei dank!) in the wings...?!

Steven C. Barr