[78-L] 78 album covers (was Album Covers & Sleeve info) (was: Alex Steinweiss article)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 29 22:06:56 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
>> the original LP (which I have in front of me) of Carousel has a
>> 1949 copyright date on the LP cover, but of course the 78 had
>> come out years earlier with the same cover design and the earlier date.
>
> Have you looked to see if that pressing is by Decca or Columbia?
>
> That is why I had it out, and was still looking for the message
> discussing your copy to answer it.  It has no characteristics of
> Columbia.  The label is black with gold print, the stamped numbers are
> plain, the suffixes are T12 and T5, on both sides there is elsewhere a 4
> inside a circle and on side two there is also a 2 in a circle, the
> lead-outs are rapid, and the lead ins are about turns.  I presume it is
> Decca.  I'm looking to see what other early Decca LPs Leah might have
> here.

The one I have is T4 on both sides. About 2.5 turns for the lead-ins. As I say,
green-ish gold print and other Columbia characteristics. I know I have others
like this including some ten-inch.

> The problem Columbia had with some of these 78 sets is that there was no
> LP cover they could use because these were often only half of the LP.  I
> really need someone to find me the Godfrey-Kosty Peter and the Wolf
> because I think it is the last MM 78, and is only half the LP.

I thought Kismet was close to the last MM 78 set, and there's a Morton Gould
album that's close to it (Columbia Concert Band, I think)..can't find it right now.

>> Oddly enough, Canadian Columbia almost never used the Steinweiss covers!
>> We got plain covers much of the time and when they did go for artwork or
>> illustrations, they came up with their own. Frederick Stock's recording
>> of the Rumanian Rhapsody is one of the few with the same cover.  dl
>
> Get out your camera.  I might need photos of these eventually.

Peter And The Wolf (Razzie Bathrobe/Stoky) also used the same cover in Canada.
Generally we got replacement or generic covers on Columbia albums up here, and
in many cases prior to 1946 we didn't see the liner notes either. Sets like
"Hot Trumpets" and "Hot Trombones" were put out with no info, not even the
references to unissued masters that appeared on the US labels.