[78-L] Alex Steinweiss article

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 29 19:41:11 PST 2009

And I made earlier mention of a couple of Shakespeare sets on Columbia, issued
in 1938..Orson Welles' "Julius Caesar" (the 5-disc abridgement, not the longer
Mercury Players set) and Maurice Evans in scenes from "King Richard II". Both
have full size photographs on the front cover. So even Columbia was doing arty
album covers before Steinweiss. (Does the original issue of "Air Raid" have an
illustration? Both copies I have here have plain covers, although one disc is
an original pre-CBS gold label pressing.)

Han, where are you finding dates for things like the Richard Rodgers set?

dl