[78-L] Alex Steinweiss article

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 28 17:05:24 PST 2009

Is Cary developing a web page with the illustrations that the reporter
wants to link to?

The other aspect of the article concerned the plain brown paper sleeves.
 We should include some sleeves, possibly starting with some Columbia
sleeves, the early pre-1910 sleeves with the muse in flowing veils, then
perhaps some of the multi color ones in the late 20s.  THOSE will freak
them out.  Then a few Victor and Brunswick sleeves with the artist
pictures and bios.  In my posting I mentioned that Edison cylinders and
disc sleeves had detailed notes for the specific records, and we should
illustrate a few of these.

I think that Cary edited his letter a little too much, leaving out the
description of what an album and a sleeve is.  It also still gives
Steinweiss too much credit, especially in the first sentence.  His
revolutionary action was just to add his artistic sense to the covers,
not that his were the first covers -- that is not clear enough.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com