[78-L] Alex Steinweiss article

bruce78rpm at comcast.net bruce78rpm at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 13:00:40 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 3:52:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [78-L] Alex Steinweiss article

Bubble books at http://www.littlewonderrecords.com/bubble-book-discography.html

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com]On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 3:46 PM
To: 78-L Mail List

Okay..I can't scan, but I'll toss out some suggestions and maybe links can be
found to these.

Victor--Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Album (P-4) (1936)
Molly Picon--Jewish Melodies (S-25)

Brunswick--Show Boat, Blackbirds (1932-3)

Decca--Wizard of Oz, Gulliver's Travels (1939) + lots earlier

HMV--Gondoliers and other Gilbert & Sullivan sets (pre-1920)

Columbia--Julius Caesar, King Richard II (1938)

Timely--Earl Robinson: Songs for Americans (8-W)

Musicraft--Carl Sandburg: From the American Songbag (Album 11)

dl

fnarf at comcast.net wrote:
> This is important! While the ramblings of a delightful bunch of old coots is very enjoyable, it's not evidence. People saying
"Steinweiss wasn't first" aren't any more reliable than people saying "Steinweiss was first" without some solid documentary proof.
Without it, journalists and authors are right to ignore us.

Times Calendar edition. She also would like to get a link showing examples of illustrated album design pre-Steinweiss. If anyone
has some of the items Mike Biel mentioned and can send me a link or a scan of them, I would appreciate it. My deadline for getting
this in is Wednesday. I will need to trim my letter to make it concise. The way it is now, the Times editors would hack my current
letter to pieces.

78-L at klickitat.78online.com