[78-L] 78 album covers

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Dec 28 12:36:35 PST 2009

Not being a serious collector of pre-1920 materials, I don't personally have a lot that predates Steinweiss. I do, however, have a Decca 78 album, No. 66, consisting of three discs of fiddle tunes by Clayton McMichen. This was probably issued around 1936-37. The cover features a photograph of McMichen, and the set comes complete with a detailed booklet. I can scan this as evidence, but it is not what I would consider to be "album art," merely a descriptive summary of what's in the album, along with a photo. If someone can send me scans of two or three items that definitively predate Steinweiss and that can be considered "album art," I will forward it to Liesl with my official response.

Cary Ginell