[78-L] Spoken work records...

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 27 16:14:53 PST 2009

Ted Kneebone wrote:
> > When I saw the "words on record" line, I assumed the writer meant
> > records of the spoken voice. I was wrong. But I would like to
> > mention a few spoken word records I once owned, some I still have:

Of course there are thousands and thousands of spoken word recordings
beyond Ted's starter list, but I would also make the distinction between
spoken word "recordings" and spoken word "records".  While there are
thousands of recordings of Edward R. Murrow, there are only a few dozen
records that are by or include him -- and few are of his broadcast
newscasts.  Ditto Ben Grauer and the NBC Toscanini broadcasts.  There
never were legit releases of the broadcast announcements.  All are later
pirates.

> > RCA Victor demo record with Milton Cross "Wasn't that glorious music?" And
> > his descriptions of the operas on the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts.

Same with Milton Cross, starting with his earlier Victor Radio-Tone
Demonstration record "There can be no compromise with purity of tone."
Were there any officially released records with broadcast descriptions
by him of the Met? -- we all know that the Parade operas narrations were
recorded for Parade.  I really can't think of any released records of
his broadcasts, only his voice.  The one pressed shellac record I have
of a Cross broadcast was not a released record or even a sample like the
Victors, it was the next to last side of the WJZ transmission of the
Sept 1925 2LO/5XX transatlantic broadcast.

> > "Christmas carol" with Barrymore (MGM) and Ronald Colman (Decca). The
> > broadcast of 1939 with Barrymore.

The '39 broadcast was not released as a record like the other two (and
several others.)  But there might be Radiola or similar OTR LP with it
-- releases me mainly ignore!

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Milton Cross recorded narratives of the great operas, which were
> spliced in between the sides originally recorded in the early 40s
> for "World's Greatest Operas". I have a bunch of these on Parade.
> (I also have the same sides on the original 78s as well as on
> Camden and "World's Greatest" LP issues.)

Just in case there is some confusion, the MUSIC is what was on Camden
and "World's Greatest".  Cross's narration is only on Parade (and other
Eli O labels?).

> I'd like to know how it came to happen that Muzak put out a
> whole 20-disc album of 78s of Carl Sandburg reading whatever
> happened to come to mind (and improvising a few stories as well).

Well, remember there are those Decca Sandburg albums "The People, Yes"
A/DA 273, and "Cowboy Songs and Negro Spirituals" A 356.  I know that
certainly does not add up to 20 discs, but were these included?  There
was a Western Electric tie in between Muzak and World wasn't there, and
World was owned by Decca in some of the 40s.  Where is the Muzak album
listed?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com