[78-L] Shopping in places other than record stores^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 26 20:09:06 PST 2009

see end...!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
NOT me...SCB!!
> [...]
> in the mid 60s I worked for a One-Stop Rack-Jobber record distributor.
> We sold all sorts of cut-outs and remainders, as well as new in-print
> records.  We had a warehouse of a million cut-outs and I spent my lunch
> hours and coffee breaks rummaging thru the aisles that were way in the
> back.  A couple of weeks ago at the Archive record sale in NYC I came
> across a record with our price sticker on it -- 99 cents.  It was a
> dollar now.
>
> I regularly stopped by Woolworth when I lived in Evanston Ill in 68-72,
> and got a wealth of stuff there.  Little by little I got all but four of
> the Bing's Hollywood set there.  In January 1970 Decca cut out over half
> of their LP catalog, leaving me with a list of at least 50 records I was
> looking for.  When visiting Birmingham Ala around 1972 I came across a
> downtown department store which had a GAZILLION of those Deccas at three
> for a dollar.  I got about half of my want list right there.  When I
> moved to Columbia Missouri in 1972 there were two new shopping centers
> at the edge of town across the highway from each other.  One had a
> K-Mart and the other had a Woolco and both had large cut-out bins and a
> steady customer.
>
> But there were also record stores which had great cutouts.
>
> On my first trip to Budapest Hungary in 1988 I came across a great
> record store that had Hungarian and Soviet cut-outs.  Drilled and
> cut-corner albums!  In-print stuff was only about 75 cents, but this
> stuff was a dime to a quarter.  There also were a lot of very early
> Soviet LPs from the 50s, usually a dime.  (The Forint was exchanging the
> dollar at 50 cents that year, so these records were 5 or 10 forints, new
> ones about 150 forints.)  I filled two suitcases with records on that
> trip!
>
> In the early 60s in NYC The Record Hunter on 5th Avenue had some very
> high class cut-outs.  The Capitol of the World imported Odeon
> paste-overs were remaindered there.   When they opened up the enlarged
> store they had an 88 cents sale and next to the stairs leading to the
> new balcony, they had a wall of dealer stock 10-inch RCA Victor LPs.  At
> least three copies of every record.  There was a gold stripe painted
> along the spines.  This was around 1963 and I was still in high school
> so was only able to afford about ten dollars worth.  I could have spent
> a hundred.  But where the hell had these records been sitting since
> 1956?????????
>
> Around that time Sam Goody opened an annex store for cut-outs across the
> street from the main store on W 49th Street, and it was always my first
> stop on every trip I made into NYC.  And when I moved to Evanston in 68
> I discoverd the second floor of Rose Records was all cut-outs and
> remainders.  It was my first stop every trip I made to the Loop the next
> four years, and any time I passed thru Chicago.

"radio" station operated by Illinois State (Normal) University...assigned
the
task of building up a usable "record library," including as much as possible
of earlier "hit tracks!" We obtained catalogs of "cut-outs" from firms which
sold them VERY cheaply (and may have provided not-quite-current hit
LP's to retailers...?!

As well, after I moved to Toronto, I discovered "Sam's"...a HUGE
record store run by Sam Sniderman! The upper storeys, especially
the third, purveyed TONS of "cut-out" LP's...including many I had
missed the first time around!

I USED to have a really impressive LP collection; however, back in
early 1997 a collection of EX-friends took it upon themselves to
sell off as much as possible of my carefully-accumulated stuff (may
they forever rot in the furthest reaches of Hell...?!), for about five
cents on the dollar of actual value!

There SHOULD be a law specifically excluding us "pack rats" from
being charged with homicide of any sort, IF we are trying to defend
or protect our "collections" (of objects...or data!!)

Keep in mind that the only reason we HAVE 78's to collect is simply
because some "pack rat" SAVED the dommed things...?!

FEH!!

Steven C. Barr