[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 15:14:22 PST 2009

I'd guess that it's accurate to say that Albert Ayler's hign school era road stint with Little Walter Jacobs would have influenced him, and I'd be incredibly surprised if he wasn't also familar with Jay McNeely, Jacquet, Arnett Cobb, Hal Singer, etc.
So too for Black churches like the COGIC and others which 'spoke in tongues' - another point is, the tone, volume and intensity with which Ayler played are not casual things that anyone can just pick up a horn and do, Like many saxists, cello was also an inspiration to him.

Gene