[78-L] Talk-o-Photo

Michael Quinn mbquinn at powerup.com.au
Thu Dec 24 03:41:34 PST 2009

Patrick Feaster wrote:

>I just got a query from a media studies colleague about Victor Emerson's
>"Talk-o-Photo" enterprise -- single-faced picture discs from the early
>twenties that featured the voices of silent film stars.  I don't know much
>about this, so I'm passing the question along -- plus I'd be interested in
>learning more about these recordings myself.  Does anyone know of a
>discography of these, or know what the "talks" themselves were like, or have
>access to any sound files?
>
> - Patrick

Hello Patrick,
The only titles I know of are by the following artists -
Lew Cody
Mary Miles Minter
Mae Murray - "My Real Self"
David Powell - "How To Become A Star"
Gloria Swanson - "Happiness"
Frank Tinney
H.B.Warner
    George Blacker and others wrote on Talk-O-Photo discs in Record
Research - from Tyrone's Index

Talk-O-Photo (label - kind-of)
Iss 125/126 (2/74)

Talk-O-Photo (label)
Iss 243/244 (5/90) pge 4

Talk-O-Photo (label)
Iss 247/248 (9/91) pge 5

Talk-O-Photo (label)
Iss 249/250 (5/92) pges 4 - 5

Talk-O-Photo (label)
Iss 251/252 (4/93) pges 4 - 5

 I don't have access to this journal but apparently there were 91 discs
in the series but only 16 titles were known to Blacker. The series was
announced in the July 15th 1920 Talking Machine World at 35 cents each
or 3 for $1.
The sales must have been really small as they seldom show up in record
auctions. There were other similar issues in the 1920s but the only one
I have an example of is the little flexible disc advertising the Pathe
silent serial "The Green Archer" which has the stars Allene Ray and
Walter Miller promoting the film.
Best Wishes
Mike Quinn